Welcome to the Capital One field at the Maryland Stadium, formerly known as the Byrd Stadium, home of the Maryland Terrapins Football and Lacrosse teams. Here are a few key facts to know about the stadium.
Construction began in 1950 and ended in September of that year, costing a total of one million dollars and boasting a seating capacity for more than thirty four thousand fans.
In 1975, after some renovations, the stadium featured the largest crowd ever at Maryland when the Terrapins went up against Penn State. Total attendance surpassed fifty-eight thousand fans.
Originally named after Harry Byrd, the stadium was renamed on December 11th, 2015 to the Maryland Stadium. This was a decision based on controversy surrounding the history of Harry Byrd himself. While he was revered as an influential coach and president of the university, his ties to segregationist history removed him from memorialization.
Democracy Then and Now: Vote!